Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/qrvimik/

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

The Bird Ain't the Word...

In the early sixties, somebody wrote a fun, kickin' song called Surfin' Bird. The beginning lyrics to the song went something like this: "Well everybody's heard, about the bird! Bird bird bird, the bird is the word! The bird, bird, bird -- the bird is the word..."

So, where am I going with this bird stuff? I lost the post I composed last night. Not sure how that happened. Perhaps I hit the wrong key on the keyboard. Poof. In any event, my post wasn't about birds, but it was about words. Somehow, in reflecting on my loss, I recalled the Surfin' Bird song.

Now, contrary to the Surfin' Bird song, I don't think the bird is the word. I think we are the word. You, me, all of us. We're all the word. And, our words have great power. From the beginning of time it seems to have been that way. Oh well, I guess the Bird can be the word, too. I don't want to leave anybody out.

Although I won't try to recapture last night's words, I will allude to the general intent of my lost post. Specifically, in that post, I said it had dawned on me how important what we say - or even sing - to others can be. I composed a list of things people have said to me over the years that facilitated an actual change in my life. I listed those few life-changing comments line by line. Shortly after beginning my list, I realized those words were inconsequential in terms of dramatic meaning to anyone else. It was their timing that had been critically important. Each comment had its own individual power and carried an energy that - combined with my own - enabled me to move to the next plateau in my life. One of those comments saved my life. It was uttered by a rank stranger. He never knew what he had done. Unless, of course, angels actually exist and he knew specifically what he was doing.

Perhaps I will have more to say on this, but for now I'll leave it paused here. I am not Mr. Goody-Good-Guy. Most assuredly I am not. I wrestle daily with keeping my mouth under control, from saying things that should have been left unsaid.

There is such tremendous power in words, you'd think I'd use them more constructively. As I babble on daily about purposeful living, yet never seem to do anything in that direction, perhaps I can start small? Perhaps I can work towards saying encouraging things to everybody I meet.

What were the words that saved my life? "You look like a good guy." Simple, to the point. I'll never forget the moment.

By the way, the Surfin' Bird song is great upbeat song. The bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word... If you've never heard it, check it out!

G'night all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home